Light, sweet, and buttery, SHILOH FARMS Kamut® is a delightful, delicious, and nutritious alternative grain that demands to be tried! Especially rich in protein and fiber, it is also an excellent source of manganese, phosphorus, zinc, several B Vitamins, and other essential nutrients.
An ancient variety of wheat believed to have originated in the Fertile Cresent over 6,000 years ago, Kamut® (or Khorasan Wheat) is much larger than modern strains. In fact, this grain is a specific, registered variety that must meet several strict conditions to carry the Kamut® name:
• It must be ancient Khorasan Wheat and not the product of any breeding or genetic manipulation.
• It must be Certified Organic.
• It must be 99% free of contamination from modern wheat varieties.
• It must contain 12-18% protein.
• It must contain 400-1,000 ppb selenium.
Because Kamut® is relatively easy digest, it may be tolerated by those with mild wheat sensitivities. However, as with other varieties of wheat, it does contain gluten and should be avoided by celiacs and those with acute gluten sensitivities.